Saturday, July 18, 2015

Feeling better now... (part 1)

It took a week for the hand marks on my neck to heal. I barely left the motel room in that whole time (and I never saw Archer once... more on that later, though).

Once I did get the courage to go out though, I decided to get my hair done. I needed a change, something new to look at in the mirror. So, I stopped by the new salon in town, Curl Up and Dye. They did a great job and I am so excited by my new look.


A couple days later, I found myself at the new gym in town and I bumped into a woman who worked there named Loa. We chatted briefly, then she left.
The very next night, out of the blue, I ran into her on the street. She thought I was someone else and I had to explain how we met. She apologized, explaining that she was very hungry. I was too, for that matter, and we decided to have dinner together. We walked over to the pizza place, Pizza Slut, and ordered a pie. We sat down and got to know each other a bit more. I found out that she is just in Dead End for the summer, before she heads back to school, in North Dakota, I believe.

 
We got our pizza (it was very, very good by the way, despite the look of the place) and ate, while a few people came and went. I saw a woman who I met at the Quicky Mart (I can't place her name, though) and a woman (whose name escapes me, as well) who knew Loa came over to the table to chat with us. I could tell right away that Loa was uncomfortable being in her presence. I tried my best to talk to the woman, help ease Loa's discomfort. Through the conversation, I learned that the woman must have propositioned Loa to... DO certain things for money. The woman even extended a vague invite to me to do the same kind of work as we were chatting. I politely refused, though I wasn't offended by the offer, not like Loa was. In a couple more weeks, as my savings dwindle and if I have trouble finding suitable employment, the woman's offer may become more tempting.
 
 
Loa was ready to leave, pretty much as soon as the woman started to talk to us. I was too, but for different reasons. I was getting tired. The woman... she seemed pretty harmless, especially considering what I'd already encountered in my short time in Dead End.
 
Loa and I walked back to the motel (where I found she was staying as well), keeping each other company. We said goodnight and went to our rooms.
 
I was getting ready to go to sleep, when I heard a key hit the doorknob. I felt my back pocket for my switchblade.
 
But I didn't need it... because it was Archer...


No comments:

Post a Comment